Lewiston Mass Shooting Tragedy: Gunman Found Dead in Apparent Suicide

Tragic Turn of Events: Gunman in Lewiston Mass Shootings Found Dead

In a heart-wrenching turn of events, the assailant behind the devastating mass shootings that claimed the lives of 18 individuals in Lewiston, Maine, has been discovered deceased. The name of the perpetrator, 40-year-old Robert Card, sent shockwaves across the nation as his reign of terror came to an end. This shocking discovery has left the community grappling with a mix of relief and sorrow.

The grim discovery of the gunman’s lifeless body was made near a recycling plant in the Lisbon area, confirming the worst fears of many. It was revealed that Robert Card had taken his own life through a self-inflicted gunshot wound, as stated by Mike Sauschuck, commissioner of the Maine Department of Public Safety, during a solemn news conference on a Friday night.

The location of the tragedy was along the Androscoggin River in Lisbon, a town situated approximately 8 miles southwest of Lewiston. Adding to the unfolding drama, Card’s white Subaru Outback, which had been abandoned by a riverboat launch, only deepened the mystery.


Maine Governor Janet Mills, grappling with the weight of this tragic news, promptly contacted President Biden to relay the grim findings. She expressed the collective sentiment of many, stating, “Like many people, I’m breathing a sigh of relief that Robert Card is no longer a threat to anyone.”

In a somber response, President Biden acknowledged the gravity of the situation, describing it as “a tragic two days – not just for Lewiston, Maine, but for our entire country.” He continued to emphasize the urgency of addressing the issue of gun violence in the United States.


The manhunt leading to this conclusion involved a massive operation, with hundreds of state and local police and federal agents tirelessly working since the shootings occurred on Wednesday night. The intensity of the search was palpable, with armed police surrounding a house in Bowdoin, Card’s hometown, yet failing to locate him.

Friday brought news of divers scouring underwater in the vicinity where Card’s vehicle was found abandoned. This meticulous search led to the recovery of a weapon from his vehicle, raising questions about its involvement in the tragic event. Notably, this firearm was legally purchased.

Intriguingly, investigators had also uncovered the gunman’s cellphone, aiming to decipher his digital trail and discover any potential clues about his motives. This included a comprehensive examination of text messages and emails, shedding light on the unsettling circumstances surrounding the incident.

The horrifying series of events commenced shortly before 7 p.m. on Wednesday, with a 911 call reporting a shooting at Sparetime Recreation, a bowling alley in Lewiston. The initial rampage resulted in the tragic loss of six men and one woman.

Within minutes, at 7:08 p.m., the scene shifted to Schemengees Bar and Grille, where another shooting claimed the lives of eight individuals. The assailant’s escape led to a nationwide alert, with authorities cautioning that he was to be considered armed and dangerous.


Notably, Robert Card, a member of the U.S. Army Reserve, had previously reported experiencing severe mental health issues, including hearing voices, and had made threats regarding a military base in Saco. These alarming details were documented in a law enforcement bulletin.

As the days following the tragedy unfolded, several communities in the region were under shelter-in-place warnings, resulting in canceled schools and residents advised to stay indoors. These restrictions were eventually lifted on Friday, allowing the community to begin healing.

Mayor Carl Sheline of Lewiston expressed the shock and sorrow felt by the city, emphasizing the deep loss experienced by the victims and their families. The victims ranged in age from 14 to 76 and represented a diverse cross-section of the community.

The investigation into the assailant’s motives continues, with a focus on a possible specific target, believed to be a current or former girlfriend. It remains uncertain whether she was present at the two locations targeted in the attack.

In the aftermath, Attorney General Merrick Garland acknowledged the relief that the suspect was no longer a threat but also recognized that nothing could undo the pain and fear he had inflicted. Sen. Susan Collins of Maine extended gratitude to the dedicated first responders who tirelessly worked to find the perpetrator.


Visit for more – Soul String Report


Leave a Comment